Volume 4, Number 50 - March 10, 2005
brought to you online by Pinedale Online
New laws enacted
Against the law to permit house parties for minors; to inhale volatile solvents and more.
In the recent session of the Wyoming Legislature, close to 150 bills were passed and signed into law by the governor. Most have an effective date of July 1, 2005. Some are of particular interest to this office and may be of interest to the public as well.
We have had concern for some time that there is no law in Wyoming to help protect children and others from the harmful effects of inhaling toxic substances. It will now be a violation of the law in Wyoming to inhale or ingest toxic substances. The new law defines toxic substances as volatile solvents, aerosols with volatile contents, volatile gases and certain nitrates. It includes such common substances as gasoline, paint thinner, correction fluid, felt-tip markers, nail polish remover, glue, spray paint, spray deodorants, spray hair products, spray cooking products, spray fabric protectors, butane and refrigerants. The maximum penalty for inhaling or ingesting these substances is six months in jail, a fine of $750 or both.
After July 1, 2005, it will be illegal to permit house parties where minors are present if there is any alcoholic beverage or illegal drug possessed or consumed by a minor. The law will apply to any person who own, rents, leases, subleases or has control of any residence or premises and who allows such a house party to take place. A minor is any person under the age of 18. Under this law, the premises can include a rented, leased or donated hotel or motel room, a manufactured home or any other public or private facility. The maximum penalty for allowing such a house party is six months in jail, a fine of $750 or both.
See The Archives for past articles.
Copyright © 2002-2005 Sublette Examiner
All rights reserved. Reproduction by any means must have permission of the Publisher.
Sublette Examiner, PO Box 1539, Pinedale, WY 82941 Phone 307-367-3203